Call for Papers
Performance and Memory Working Group
Third Annual Memory Studies Association Conference
25th-28thJune 2019, Madrid, Spain
The Co-chairs of the Memory Studies Association (MSA) Performance and Memory Working group invite proposals for a series of curated sessions within the forthcoming annual conference in Madrid. Given the focus of the conference on both local/regional and transnational memory constellations, particularly those beyond European and Western frameworks (see main MSA CfP here), proposals for our working-group sessions may address (but are not limited to) the following questions:
- How do performances mobilise or immobilise memories?
- How do memories of home or transit manifest in post-migration or post-refugee contexts?
- How can we work through and beyond the frameworks we already have, such as the circum-Atlantic (Roach, 1996) and the hemispheric (Taylor, 2003), for conceiving of performance memory beyond national borders?
- How are geopolitical conceptualisations of memory embodied, challenged or reconceived in the work of performance practitioners?
- How do performances register memories of trauma and/or non-violent pasts?
- How can performative interventions challenge and address colonial pasts and post-colonial presents?
We welcome proposals from both scholars and practitioners for papers, panels, performances, lecture demonstrations, workshops, film screenings, roundtables and other formats. Please submit a title, abstract (200 words) and a short bio (80 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16thSeptember 2018.
We will confirm which proposals will be put forward as part of the working group submission to the MSA programming committee prior to the final conference deadline (1stOctober 2018), so that any proposals not accepted can still be submitted to the main conference. The MSA will send out acceptance letters in January 2019.
Please note that all presenters at the MSA conference, including working group sessions, must become members of the MSA. Membership details are available here.
The Performance and Memory Working Group will also be organising an interim event in London in Spring 2019. Please watch this space for the Call for Papers!
Dr Carmen Levick (University of Sheffield) and Dr Clare Parfitt (University of Chichester)
Working Group Co-Chairs